As I carted my kids around to Costco and Walmart today, I thought to myself how did my mom do this with 10 kids? Ask yourself what’s worse than a Costco trip with three kids? A Costco trip with three kids in the POURING rain! We were all drenched from head to toe.
I’m not sure at what point we pushed her over the edge but by the time we pulled in our driveway we were told to get out and take the groceries inside while my mom drove off in the car for a moment to herself to regroup. Surely she earned some credits to curse like a sailor but she didn’t.
- 1 can black eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can shoepeg corn, drained and rinsed
- 4-5 Roma tomatoes, seeds removed and diced
- 2-3 diced avocados, ripe but still firm
- 4 green onions, sliced thin (I used ½ purple onion diced finely because that's all I had)
- around ½ to ¾ cup Zesty Italian dressing
- ½ bunch cilantro, chopped finely
- 1-2 limes
- ground pepper and salt to taste
- Drain and rinse the black eyed peas, black beans, and corn. Add to a large bowl. Dice the tomatoes, making sure the seeds and insides are removed. You want to do this to make sure that there isn't too much liquid in the dip. Add the diced tomatoes and cilantro to the bowl. Slice the green onions finely (or purple onion) and add to the bowl. Dice the avocado and squeeze a little of the lime juice over the avocados so they don't brown as quickly. Squeeze the rest of the lime juice into the bowl. Add the Italian dressing and stir to coat all the ingredients. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Chill in the refrigerator until cold and flavors have marinated together. This is best served the same day as prepared. Serve with tortilla chips.