They say your taste buds change every 7 years. I don’t know how true that is but John and I used to hate mushrooms but now we love them. Every once in a while a good casserole on Sundays is just what you need. My family loved this Chicken, Mushroom, Broccoli, and Rice Casserole – a home cooked meal that is a little of everything.
- 1 (6 ounce) box of long grain & wild rice, prepared per instructions
- 1 cup of broccoli florets (see note)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ½ onion, diced
- 12 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1-2 stalks of celery, diced (about ⅓ cup)
- 2 cooked chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 (10¾ oz) can of cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10¾ oz) can of cream of celery soup
- ¼ cup light mayonnaise
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare rice per instructions.
- Steam broccoli until fork tender.
- In a heated pan add ½ tablespoon oil and cook mushrooms until golden brown. Season with salt and pepper and remove from pan. Add the other ½ tbsp of oil to the pan and cook onions and celery until soft.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well.
- Put into a baking dish and heat uncovered for 30 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes prior to serving.
Source: adapted from For The Love of Cooking