Who said you can’t have treats when trying to eat healthy? These Chocolate Peanut Butter Apples with Coconut and Almonds are only 156 calories. Great for an afternoon snack! I’ve lost my fair share of weight over the years. Being pregnant and gaining at least 35 pounds with each child means that I’ve had to lose 175 pounds over the last 10 years. And that’s just pregnancy weight not Hawaii weight, Lake Powell weight, or birthday weight. You know those girls that you ask how they lost their baby weight and they say, “I just chase around my kids all day and forget to eat.” I’m not one of those girls. The first part might be true but the second part…this girl always finds time to eat. It’s never easy. For me, it’s calories in…calories out. I know that sounds absurd considering the stuff I post on this blog but I always say that I really do eat healthy 90% of the time and the other 10% I eat very naughty. Our Best Bites just released an entire cookbook with recipes that are 400 calories and less. Sara and Kate have each shared their weight loss stories and they are so inspiring. Although we’ve never met, I feel like we’re friends (as I’m writing this it feels a bit stalkerish on my side). They asked me to share one of their recipes from their new book, 400 Calories and Less with Our Best Bites and it was hard to pick just one. I fell in love with these Chocolate Peanut Butter Apples with Coconut and Almonds because hello?…chocolate….peanut butter. I’m in. My kids went gaga for these. Of course I called them Apple Nachos and who doesn’t like nachos?
|Chocolate Peanut Butter Apples With Coconut and Almonds|| |
- 1 medium crisp sweet apple
- 1 tablespoon chopped dark chocolate or chocolate chips
- ¼ teaspoon coconut or canola oil
- 1 tablespoon high quality peanut butter or other nut butter
- 1 tablespoon sweetened coconut flakes
- ½ tablespoon sliced toasted almonds
- Core apple and slice into ¼ inch slices. Arrange on plate.
- Place chocolate and oil in a small bowl and microwave until melted and smooth. In a separate bowl, melt peanut butter 15-20 seconds, until soft and thin enough to drizzle.
- Drizzle chocolate and peanut butter over apples. Sprinkle with coconut and almonds.