Pecan Pie Muffins

For a second I had the idea of giving you guys a beautiful step by step tutorial on how to make the perfect Thanksgiving turkey. But quite frankly making a turkey still terrifies me even though I’ve done it several times. The actual process isn’t that hard but if you screw up the bird, Thanksgiving is ruined. In my nightmare I imagine everyone sitting around a huge table staring sadly at their empty plates and then at me.

I’m not so much worried about a dry turkey because with a little gravy, almost any turkey is edible. My biggest fear is everyone showing up for dinner and having to wait a couple of hours to eat because I didn’t calculate my cooking time correctly and my turkey is raw.

Sooooo, instead I’m sharing some Pecan Pie Muffins that a reader Tammy sent me. I want to call these Puffins because they’re pie/muffins. I felt like they were more pie than muffin but my husband felt the opposite. These are super easy to throw together with only five ingredients. Tammy said if you just under-bake them, they really taste like a pecan pie and she’s right. I managed to eat more than I should have. They have crispy chewy edges and a soft gooey center.

Pecan Pie Muffins | The Girl Who Ate Everything

If you’re scared of butter you should just walk away now. Just sayin’. The only way you can screw these up is to not properly grease your pan. Baker’s Joy spray works really well here.These Pecan Pie Muffins are a mix between a pie and a muffin. They have a muffin texture with a soft gooey inside like a pecan pie.

Pecan Pie Muffins
Source: given to me by Tammy and adapted from Allrecipes
  • 1 cup packed light brown sugar
  • ½ cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups chopped pecans
  • ⅔ cup butter, softened
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease mini or regular muffin cups generously. Grease them well or they will stick. In medium bowl, stir together brown sugar, flour and pecans. In a separate bowl, beat the butter and eggs together. Stir in dry ingredients just until combined.
  2. Spoon batter into muffin cups about ⅔ full. Bake for 12-13 minutes for mini muffins or 15-17 minutes for regular size muffins. Run a knife around the edge of each muffin and pop it out.
Nutrition Information
Serving size: 8 large muffins or 16 mini muffins

The following two tabs change content below.
Christy is the voice behind The Girl Who Who Ate Everything! She is no stranger to making meals that kids and adults will love. She grew up in Mesa, Arizona as the youngest of ten kids. She can always be found in her kitchen with music playing and cooking with her kids. She published her first cookbook in 2014. She loves party food that gets the conversations going!

Latest posts by Christy Denney (see all)

Speak Your Mind

1. Those look like they belong on my Thanksgiving table! Happy weekend 🙂

2. These sound yummy! Will have to try these!!

3. I need these now! PS: I must really be behind in blog reading because when did you do a site makeover? But whenever you did, it looks great!!

4. These look incredible!

5. mmmhmm looks perfect, I just pinned

6. These look divine! And, for the record, I have the same nightmare about the turkey!!!

7. YUM! I’m definitely making these! And they are so dang easy…..I love that! Thanks!

8. These look absolutely delish!!! And the best part is – absolutely easy! Thanks for the recipe. Going to give these a try for Turkey Day and seriously cannot wait! Hmm, maybe I’ll have to make a batch before the big day 😉

9. Prepare yourself for an early Valentine from my boys. YUM. Thank you!

10. These sound absolutely delightful! Awesome idea!

11. I just made these this morning. They are awesome! I’ll be bringing them to a pre-Thanksgiving playdate tomorrow.

12. These look ABSOLUTELY heavenly!!! Yummmm!

13. I just love a good pecan pie, but never want to put the work into it. These look awesome and so easy to do…love that gooey center!!!

14. My grandmother loves pecans! My husband and I are flying home for Christmas, and I know she would love this little treat! Thanks for the recipe 🙂

15. Love your quick and easy recipes! Made these this afternoon for a family get together. Yummy! But i subbed walnuts for pecans…still turned out fantastic!

16. I made these for Thanksgiving and everyone loved them! Thank you for sharing!

17. These look so moorish and you are absolutely gorgeous and your family the same.
    Are you LDS?

18. I made these and they’re fantastic. Super easy and delicious. Will make them again! Thx!

19. when you don’t feel like making a HUGE pie – pecan pie muffins come to the rescue. how perfect and EASY. I am all about easy baking recipes this time of year. Love this recipe Christy 🙂

20. Thats it?! so easy, and I love love love pecan pie! and muffins ; D need to give these a try.

21. Jeanine Larson says:

Christy, I love your comments after the pictures. Were these thanksgiving food pictures taken on your back porch? I think you should share with your bloggers the truth about John carving the lean turkey with four legs. love you! Mom

22. I just made these and they were kind of awful. They were SUPER oily, dense, and they didn’t look at all like the image. I think the recipe needs more flour and less butter and they would probably benefit from a touch a vanilla extract.

• @Gillian,
      Sorry. I would say that they are on the dense side just like a pecan pie. I’m sorry you didn’t like them.

• I made them also. Had the same results. The bottoms were heavy. The best part was the tops. I wont be making the again….Ill make the pie instead.

• Kathy, just curious did you use real butter? I can kinda see where margarine and maybe even salted real butter might make them like you described.

23. Just made these this morning for my boss— they were a hit and I’ve had two recipe request so far! Thanks for sharing.

24. Eleanor Holler says:

I decided to make these muffins because they didn.t have too many ingredients. I used only one stick of butter, by accident, and they still came out fabulous, they were very crunchy on the outside and soft in the middle. I used walnuts and they still were delish. It was hard to eat just one and I didn’t. I am on Weight Watchers and in case any ladies want to know they are 10 points. So I will make them definitelyl again, maybe on a cheat day or when company is coming over.

25. I tried these pecan muffins. I used paper liners for medium muffins. I did fill them more full then suggested so I baked them longer. They did not stay together. I did cool them but when I took off the paper it fell apart. I still ate a couple and they tasted wonderful put I couldn’t serve them. What did I do wrong? Any suggestions?

• Christy {The Girl Who Ate Everything} says:

I’m so sorry. It’s hard when I’m not actually in your kitchen to see what might have gone wrong. They may fall apart if baked too long.

26. These look yummy? My question on these muffins and all muffins can I make them in the Jumbo muffin pans and if so how long would I bake them? Also can I use the Jumbo muffin papers on them? I prefer using the papers so people can handle them but wasn’t for sure if it would hurt. I can’t wait to make these!

• Christy {The Girl Who Ate Everything} says:

I haven’t ever tried to make them jumbo size. I’m not sure how long I would bake them unless I tried it…

• Do you think it would be o.k. to use the muffin papers when I bake them?

• Christy {The Girl Who Ate Everything} says:

I’ve heard some people say that the paper sticks but I haven’t tried it.

• Lynn MacDonald says:

If you have a Dollar Tree store nearby, try their muffin cups. They’re different from regular paper muffin cups. They feel a little like sort of wax paper. They don’t stick to your muffins. I haven’t tried this recipe “yet” but they don’t stick to my other muffins or cupcakes. I LOVE THEM!!! I never buy the regular paper muffin cups anymore.

• Remember….you can spray your muffin cups too. I use the foil muffin cups, and with spraying I usually don’t have any issues with them sticking to the cup, and then you still have the cups for easier handling and serving.

Christy, thank you for sharing this recipe, I can’t wait to try it…..I love pecans, any which way!!

27. Oh dear!! I have just spent the better part of my morning going through your amazing site! You have fantastic recipes. Do you think a brown sugar/pecan streusel will hold up on these? Would it be too much? Thank you in advance…and no worries about getting back promptly! Congrats on your fifth baby!!!

28. Really easy and delicious! In my house loved them … Only aded one and half teaspoons of maple extract, and taste like a real pecan pie. The strange thing is that even than the recipe says about 16 mini muffins out, left me almost 40! Thank you for this lovely recipe and I´m sorry for my bad english!

29. I just baked these. I followed the recipe exactly and used paper liners in the muffin tin. They turned out tasting gorgeous! They didn’t even stick to the paper lining, except at the very bottom. Definitely a winner!

30. Wanda Mercier says:

Have tried to print two different pecan recipes from this site. Keeps going to a ” blank page”. Help!

• Christy {The Girl Who Ate Everything} says:

Sorry! Unfortunately I’ve contacted ziplist who does the printing and they said it’s a bug with Internet Explorer and their program. I’ve had the same problem but I’ve found if I clear my cookies it works. Also if you print from a different browser like Firefox or Safari you shouldn’t have a problem.

31. Made these in the mini muffin pan and forgot to put the pecan halve on top. Tastes great! Taking them to tonight’s party. Don’t really get the gooey center in the minis so I’m trying the larger muffin next time.

32. I absolutely L<3'd these:) the recipe is easy to remember and is scrumptious.
    I did add a few things to it…toasted coconut flakes, vanilla, dash of salt, and a few tablespoons of flour.
    Thank you!

Everyone who tried it loved it! Needless to say, it didn't last long!

33. Have you tried these with gluten flour? If so did they turn out? They look wonderful & so easy! Thanks for the recipe!

• Christy {The Girl Who Ate Everything} says:

I haven’t tried them with gluten free flour so I can’t say if it would work. Anyone else tried it?

34. I made these tonight and I’m so very happy I did…OH MY! So yummy. Making these for Thanksgiving for sure!

35. Hi, you mentioned above that they are wonderful if you under-bake them and I was wondering if the cook time you listed reflects that or if I need to shave a few minutes off of that? Thank you!

36. Alicia vargas says:

excellent recipe. super easy to make and fast. leave about 10 minutes more for cooking and were perfect. thanks for sharing. should be within the top

37. Elaine Johnson says:

Just finding your site. Love anything with pecans in it. Can’t wait to try the Pecan Pie Muffins. They sure look good. Was looking at some of your other recipes, and they look delicious too.

38. I think these are going in the oven tonight. Sounds so yummy.

39. GOOD Pecan Pie is my very favorite so I’m sure I’d like these. However the runny part of the pie is what I like best so don’t know if this would work for sure. NOTICE: I said GOOD pecan pie——-they’re not all in that category but I usually try it out anyway.

40. I tied these but added 1 cup of flour and uses the dollar tree muffin cups. Worked great. I like it better with a bit more flour and I used walnuts in place of pecans.

41. I can’t wait to try these.

42. Will have to try these

43. if you want to make it class end of school gifts or for a bake sale use foil cup liners and skip the grease

44. Will be trying this recipe

45. Mary Sutterby says:

Only 1/2 cup flour ?

46. they look yummy i will try this recipe.

47. I am making these as we speak! I noticed the recipe says it will make 16 mini muffins. I have a mini tin that holds 24 and it filled it and I still have some left! Must be different size minis?

48. These muffins look soooooo good. I am goin

49. These Muffins look soooooo delicious….I am going to have to try these. Thanks so much.
    Peggy Fowler

50. Barbara Marler says:

Pecan muffins looks so good, I will be trying these!

51. Harriett Adams says:

This look yummy. I am going to make some for my family. Sure to be a hit. Thanks for the recipe. Will let you know how they turn out.

52. I checked out the original recipe on and the only difference I seen was that you doubled the pecans. Not that I disagree, but can I ask you what you didn’t like about the one with only 1 cup of pecans? Other than more crunch, did it make them less gooey or something? Just curious before I attempt to make one or the other recipe, as pecans are kind of expensive and I’d like to choose the recipe I think I would enjoy better! *I usually make mini-muffins. Thanks!

53. Terri lombardo says:

I will definitely be trying these

54. I tried making these tonight, and made them exactly as the recipe stated and thoroughly greased the regular muffin tins. They would not stay together enough to get out of the muffin tins. I found other similar pecan pie muffins on some other sites that only used 1 cup of chopped pecans. I don’t know if that was the problem or not. I was disappointed as I wasted good ingredients on these. We tried eating them with a spoon and they had a good flavor, but something is wrong with this recipe.

55. I am going grocery shopping tomorrow and since I already have all of the ingredients except the brown sugar, I can afford a test run before Thanksgiving! Thanks for sharing!

56. So I read some comments, and decided to modify the recipe. I added some gnd flaxseeds, couple Tb of wheat flour, pecans and walnuts, 2t vanilla, threw it in my bundt pan and baked at 375 for 25 min till pulled away from sides. It was a bit hard to release from pan, it was not gooey but delicious. I am going to double the recipe next time, which will be soon. it ls even better after it sits overnight covered withi plastic wrap which seemed to bind it better. It was scruptious…….

57. Just made, ohhh let me tell u! Thank u!

58. I made these Pecan Pie Muffins two weeks ago to take to my Mom’s house. They are delicious. My husband loved them. I plan to make some today for us and again on Saturday for a birthday party. They will be a hit!. Thanks so much for an easy, delicious recipe. Rose

59. I have got to make these, because they look awesome.

60. Looks great and I love to cook. Can’t wait to try them.

61. Roxanne Wilde says:

i make these every year for my Christmas party. Cut horizontally in half, spread with Poupon mustard, place a slice of smoked ham and a piece of lettuce. Secure with toothpick. The sweet and savory favors blend perfectly. One year I didn’t make these for my party and there was a revolt. These have become a tradition at my parties.

62. Could these be made into a cake?

63. Frances Morey says:

I would like to try this with 1 cup of date sugar, half cup of almond flour (or tapioca flour), of course the pecans and the equivalent of two eggs in egg whites only. There is no vegan substitute for butter. Can’t wait to try my version–I do love both muffins and pecan pie.

64. I found this recipe on Facebook. I made them for the 4th of July and they were definitely a huge hit with everyone! I didn’t change a thing..well maybe a few more my Anyway the only issue I had was I didn’t make enough. Next time I will double or triple the recipe. So whoever shared this…thank you so much! I will make these all the time. Don’t be afraid to make these simple easy and oh so delicious!

65. I Made these little guys there are Just My family was fighting over the last one making more tonight one family AT A TIME 🙂 I added1/2 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. vanilla, 1cup of butter

66. Nice!

67. These are the easiest most awesome muffins ever and need a place on your top ten 😀

68. Well I sprayed heavy, and yes they stuck anyway. 6.00 of pecans ans 2.00 of butter, and I have a pile of crumbs. So disappointed.

69. Yvonne Powell says:

Made these today. Used buckwheat flour instead of plain because it’s naturally gluten free. They came out just like picture and taste great. I made them once with walnuts. Tasted ok, but much better with pecans. Super easy.

70. Love reading your posts and about to try these. They look wonderful!

71. I made these to give out for Christmas. They tasted so good! I did make a few alterations I was giving out assorted mini muffins as gifts so I wanted them to be a little more solid like a muffin and less gooey like pie so that they would hold together in the bag. I tripled the recipe although I only had 2 bags of pecans which is only doubled. I added about a cup and a half of flour (1/2 cup per recipe) and 1 1/2 tsp baking powder (1/2 tsp per recipe) and I added a little bit of vanilla extract a little less than a tsp per recipe. I also had to cook them a bit longer. With my alterations for triple recipe I got about 6 dozen mini muffins and 6 regular muffins. Will definitely be making again. Thanks for sharing!

• I forgot to mention that I used the cupcake liners but I sprayed them with cooking spray and did not have a problem with them sticking

72. The only actor of the original four not showing their age big time was Chewy; but what can you expect after 30 years?

73. May I replace brown sugar for mapple syrop ??

74. I love my Little bracelet. But, the charm did not come with it.

75. Looks amazing! And it only took me 7 min to get them in the oven. They are baking now…fingers crossed

76. I have tried so many recipes that were supposed to be wonderful but were a disappointment. These muffins, however, are PHENOMENAL!! They really do taste just like pecan pie. OMG they are divine!

77. This recipe is not a keeper. I was disappointed with these muffins. If I attempted to make them again, I would add Karo syrup or sugar. They were so dull the flavor of the pecans got lost. Tried to wake up the flavor by serving with jam. Nothing even close to pecan pie.

78. Can you use paper muffin cups? I know it sounds stupid I have a feeling they will be too sticky for that but I would prefer to use them if you can

79. I would think you can not use paper muffin cups because they are too sticky for that but was just wondering

80. Earplugs in Silicone Earplugs group in instance comfort is
    concern number one and you need to block out light to
    modest noise degree.

81. I tried these this weekend, they were great. I did change the recipe a little, added bout an 1/8 cup milk & used a small & a medium egg. Seved hot with cold vanilla ice cream & u got heaven in ur mouth

82. I tried them they turned out lovely, I added ts cinnamon and half ts vanilla extract.

83. A facebook friend posted these in an Unleavened group, which shares recipes that are unleavened for Passover and the feast of Unleavened Bread. Everyone might be thinking Thanksgiving for these muffins, but I assure you they are good any time. I baked a double batch for some neighbors who had company as well as my other neighbors, and yes, I kept a few for myself, but truly…I thank God I was giving them away or I would have eaten them all!
    So the wife of my neighbors who had company called me to thank me for the muffins and she said “John ate them all!”, meaning her husband. I guess some things came up with the company and they were not there and missed out, lol. They tried to save them, but the longer they delayed…she said her husband would say “I’m havin’ another one”. She said she and her husband had called family over the weekend and both times her husband mentioned the neighbor who brought over these muffins which he described in detail over the phone and both times the men on the other end of the line responded “ooooooh”. I laughed.
    She said her husband then dipped his chin and looked at her over the top of his glasses and said “You have GOT to get this recipe.” Yeah, they are that good. I made some as mini muffins and some as regular sized. Both were great, someone said that they key is to just bake them a titch underdone, which is what I did.
    They were amazing. Done on the outside but like gooey pecan pie on the inside. Also, I used coconut oil to grease the muffin cups really well, and that worked great.

84. Are you sure this recipe is correct? I made it like it said, but they did not turn out at all like shown. The flour sugar amounts do not seem right?

85. I made these with a gluten free all purpose flour mix and they turned out so good my MIL ate all 4 that I gave her and I ate the other 4 in one evening. She is really particular so that is quite a compliment. Great recipe and it will be a staple for my church and family pot lucks.

86. I made the pecan pie muffins for the first time the other day for my daughter to take to work. They were delicious!!! I rarely eat anything I bake but I loved these. I did have some trouble getting some of them out of the pan though. I had read where she said to spray a lot so I did. Still had trouble. Think next time I might try making them in a mini pan. They are so rich a regular sized one is a lot.

87. I made these and they turned out wonderfully! However, I am the only one in my family that is a fan of pecans… how long do you think they would keep if stored in an air-tight container?

88. These were spectacular and devilishly sinful. Plus incredibly easy, made with things I keep in the cupboard. I think I had muffins in roughly 30 minutes, probably less.
    Has anyone tried these by taking the chopped pecans down to small pieces? Does it mess up the structure? The only complaint was they were hard for my elderly mother to eat with all the nut pieces, so much so she told me to just leave them out next time. Ummm…not going to work!
    Thank you for this incredibly good recipe! Printed for my book!

89. Baker buddies, tried this recipe. Use the mini muffin pan. Bake about 10 minutes if it is a convection oven. I had also used 1/2c butter by mistake so baked for 11min. Worked perfect. Just like she says, run a butter knife and it slides out clean. I just used the butter wrapper for greasing the non stick pan. Yes, two cups pecans work well. I think, I am going to use one stick butter for this. It holds up really well and didn’t have to worry about overbaking.

90. Oh my, these are so good. Just made them. I was hoping not to gain a ton of weight with this pregnancy but it’s all over now. Really, really, good.

91. I made these gluten free, sugar free and they are addicting. It’s like a pecan pie.

92. Made these used Splenda brown sugar, as hubby is a diabetic. Everyone ate them within 5 minutes of taking them out of the oven. They are so easy to make, but are probably one of the more expensive muffins to make. Pecans are expensive, so next time I will hide them from the kids😁

93. I wish I had thought about this recipe more, instead of jumping into the kitchen because I knew I had all the ingredients. They taste exactly like what they are; light brown sugar, butter & pecans. My suggestion would be: bake a pecan pie or find a good basic pecan muffin recipe. I think this mash-up recipe missed the mark.

94. These look delicious! Would almond flour work, you think?