These Candy Corn Cupcakes are delicious! A doctored cake mix makes these super moist candy corn colored cupcakes. Great for Halloween!
For you candy corn haters, these cupcakes do NOT taste like candy corn – just regular cupcakes that look like candy corns. I thought about making these last year and thought I was sooo original to think of the idea of layering them in candy corn colors. But then I googled the idea and saw that about a million people had already thought of the idea. So I’m not sure where I originally saw the idea. I’m sure it was planted subconsciously in my mind years ago by a site and just surfaced last year. Since I always use OurBestBites method of doctoring a cake mix to make it more moist and they were at the top of the google list, I will give them credit here!
|Just color half of your batter yellow and half orange.|
- 1 white cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup milk
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- Garnish: candy corns and orange sprinkles
- 1 cup butter
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line cupcake pan with paper liners.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl until incorporated. Scrape sides of bowl and then beat on medium-high speed for 3 minutes.
- Divide batter in half and color one half orange and the other half yellow. Wilton has color gels that are really vivid. You can find them at craft stores.
- Fill paper liners with about 1-2 Tablespoons of yellow batter. Then top with 1-2 Tablespoons of orange batter. Bake according to cake mix package directions - about 15-18 minutes. Cool cupcakes and frost with your favorite frosting and garnish with a candy corn and sprinkles. Makes 18 cupcakes.
- For the Buttercream frosting: In a mixing bowl, cream butter until fluffy. Add sugar and continue creaming until well blended. Add salt, vanilla, and whipping cream. Blend on low speed until moistened. Beat at high speed until frosting is fluffy.