A reader, Heather, emailed me to thank me for this Slap ‘Yo Momma Good recipe and wanted to return the favor by giving me her own Slap ‘Yo Momma Good world famous Praline Cookies that people swoon and fight over. I love my sweet momma, so my expectations were really high for these.
Well Heather…you were right.
Slap. Your. Momma. Good.
I knew I liked Heather even more when she told me her rule is that if you make these more than 4 times you can call them your own. Just givin’ it away for free…
So what makes these cookies so good?
Two words. Browned Butter.
They practically melt in your mouth. They are sinfully rich. One will do ya.
- 2 cups butter
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped pecans (reserve ⅓ cup for sprinkling on frosted cookies)
- ½ cup reserved brown butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup hot water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- For the cookies: Place butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat stirring occasionally for 5-8 minutes or until deep brown with small flecks. Butter will melt, bubble, foam and then turn a deep brown, from the bottom up. Be careful at this point, it can burn quite easily once it has turned brown. Remove from heat and pour in another container to stop the cooking process. Take out ½ cup and set aside for frosting.
- Beat slightly cooled remaining butter with brown sugar until it isn’t hot anymore. Add eggs, vanilla, soda, powder and salt. Beat thoroughly. Add flour and ⅔ cup chopped pecans.
- Bake at 350 for about 10 minutes depending on size of cookie you scoop out. Small ones are better because this is a VERY rich cookie. Combine frosting ingredients and beat well. Spread over cooled cookies and sprinkle remaining chopped pecans on top. Makes 4-5 dozen.
- For the frosting: Mix all ingredients in a bowl until smooth. Frosting is thick but you can add a tad more hot water to make it spreadable if you need to.