This Chocolate Eclair Cake is all of the great flavors of an éclair in cake form. This Eclair Cake has a cream puff crust, vanilla cream cheese layer, whipped cream, and a chocolate drizzle. This is hands down my husband’s favorite dessert.
This measly corner piece was all that was left after us, the Clarks, and the missionaries (who made a surprise stop) devoured it. This was a Father’s Day request from John who loves eclairs. My sister-in-law Kristy made this for us when she came out to visit. It is very light which makes it easy to eat a TON of it! You can make it simple with Cool Whip and Hershey’s syrup (it’s still great this way) or go the extra step and make homemade whipped cream and chocolate sauce to make it unbelievable!
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 large box (5.1 ounces) vanilla instant pudding
- 3 cups milk
- Preheat oven to 400. Lightly grease a 9"X13" glass baking pan.
- For the Eclair Crust: In a medium saucepan, melt butter in water and bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Stir in flour. Mix in one egg at a time, mixing completely before adding another egg. Spread mixture into pan, covering the bottom and sides evenly. Mixture will be very wet. *If the sides of your pan are too greased you won't be able to get the mixture to stay up the sides so make sure to just lightly grease. No big deal but I like the crust to go up the sides a bit.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown (Mine only took 25 minutes.) You may want to check it occasionally-you don't want to overcook the crust, it will ruin the cake! Remove from oven and let cool (don't touch or push bubbles down).
- For the Filling: Whip cream cheese in a medium bowl. In separate bowl make vanilla pudding by beating the pudding mix and the milk for 3 minutes and put in the fridge until set. Make sure pudding is thick before mixing in with cream cheese. Slowly add pudding to cream cheese, mixing until there are no lumps. Let cool in fridge.When the crust is completely cooled, pour filling in. Top with layer of cool whip however thick you want it. Serve with a drizzle of chocolate syrup. *If you want to make this even better use homemade whipped cream.