We took the kids to a local Halloween store only to have to cover their eyes for oh – I don’t know, 80% of the Halloween costumes in there. I think there were a total of 5 costumes in the entire store, one being a nun costume, that actually covered all of one’s naughty bits. My husband and I have a costume party to go to so we have to get costumes. I left the store thinking that the only resolution was to go old-school as a ghost made from a sheet.We Boo-ed our neighbors tonight with these treats. Do you know how hard it is to keep three giddy boys quiet and running in the right direction once the doorbell has been rung? In inevitably one of them always trips and falls resulting in me throwing them over my shoulder fireman style running down the street. It’s quite the sight to be seen.
These Scarecrow treats were made known to me by a reader named DeAnna. Thank you! They have a sweet cake base with marshmallows and a salty peanut topping. Don’t Boo someone with these unless you know they don’t have peanut allergies. Unless you don’t like them, then still don’t give them these because that’s just mean. This makes a full sheet of treats, perfect for giving away. They’re rich so cut these babies small.
|Scarecrow Treats|| |
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 (18.25 ounce) yellow cake mix
- 1 large egg
- 3 cups mini-marshmallows
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ white sugar
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups Rice Crispies cereal
- 2 cup salted peanuts
- 1 cup candy corn
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine the butter and cake mix in large bowl. Beat on low speed until well mixed. Add egg; continue beating until well mixed.
- Press onto bottom of ungreased 15x10x1-inch jelly-roll pan. It will be a really thin layer. I found that using the heel of my hand I could easily press it evenly across the pan. Bake for 10 - 12 minutes or until set. Remove from oven.
- Immediately sprinkle marshmallows over hot, partially baked crust. Return to oven; continue baking for 1 to 2 minutes or until marshmallows puff.
- Meanwhile, combine corn syrup, sugar and brown sugar in large saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring until mixture comes to a boil (2 to 4 minutes). Remove from heat; stir in peanut butter and vanilla until smooth. Stir in cereal and peanuts. Mixture with be thick. Immediately spoon over marshmallows and spread to cover. I pressed the mixture down into the marshmallow. Quickly sprinkle the candy corns on top and press them down into the bars. Cool completely. Cut into small bars.