I know…I know. I just posted these Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Stuffed Cupcakes but these are kind of like a sister to those. I love those cupcakes but I don’t always have time to do all three components from scratch. John brought some cookie dough stuffed cupcakes home from work a couple of times and so I tried to recreate that recipe with some shortcuts using a cake mix but you still get that cookie dough flavor but with gooey chocolate frosting on top. And do I think I have room in my life for two decadent cookie dough cupcakes? Yeeesss, ma’am.
|John made sure they were stuffed to capacity. He lifted each cupcake to make sure it passed the weight test and if it was too light he stuffed in more cookie dough.|
|Cookie Dough Stuffed Cupcakes|| |
- 1 Betty Crocker Supermoist butter recipe yellow cake mix (and ingredients package calls for)
- 1 container Betty Crocker chocolate frosting or homemade chocolate frosting
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened to room temp
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1¼ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2-4 Tablespoons milk
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- (optional) ¼ package of Pillsbury refrigerated cookie dough for cookie garnishes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pan with cupcake liners. Make cupcake batter according to directions. Bake cupcakes according to package directions. Let cool.
- To make the cookie dough filling, with a mixer, cream together the butter and sugar at medium speed. Add the vanilla and beat well. Add the flour and salt and mix until combined. Add the milk gradually until desired consistency is reached and beat until fluffy. Gently fold in chocolate chips. Chill in the refrigerator until firm.
- To fill the cupcakes, cut a cylinder shaped portion out of the center of each cupcake. An apple corer works great for this. I found this a little tricky to get the hole out but then you get to eat what you take out! Fill each hole with a chunk of the chilled cookie dough mixture.
- Frost cupcakes with chocolate frosting. I like to put the frosting in a plastic storage bag and snip off a nickel sized hole in one of the corners to pipe the frosting on in a cone shape.
- Garnish with mini chocolate chips and mini chocolate chip cookies (See tip below).
- To fancy up your cupcakes, garnish with mini chocolate chip cookies. I used ¼ of a package of refrigerated cookie dough. I placed nickel sized balls of dough on a cookie sheet and baked for 8-9 minutes at 350 degrees.