Yesterday was busy with swimming, BBQing, and relaxing. My Laundry Monday turned into Laundry Tuesday topped with an additional load of damp swimming towels.
Being the good parents we are we counted swimming as baths for the kids and sent them to bed smelling of sunblock.
Then as I snuggled on the couch to write a post about these cookies I brought to our BBQ I just…could not…keep…my eyes…open. *Snooze*
S’MORES COOKIES RECIPE
The crunch of the graham cracker with the gooey cookie is the perfect combination.
- GRAHAM CRACKERS – we’re not using graham cracker crumbs her but large graham cracker pieces to get that graham flavor.
- BUTTER – you want to use softened butter but still cold butter .
- BROWN SUGAR
- WHITE SUGAR
- VANILLA EXTRACT – always use pure vanilla and not imitation.
- BAKING SODA
- ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR
- SEMI-SWEET CHOCOLATE CHIPS
- MINI MARSHMALLOWS – Gooey marshmallows are folded into the cookie dough. Large marshmallows would be overkill here.
- HERSHEY’S CHOCOLATE – a square of a Hershey bars goes right on top of the cookie for that iconic s’mores with the milk chocolate taste.
Place one and a half tablespoons of dough on each graham cracker square using a cookie scoop.
Here there are almost done…not quite all the way melted yet. Place a Hershey’s square after 5 minutes of baking to get the perfect melty chocolate.
OTHER S’MORES RECIPES
- 11 Tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- optional 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 3 regular sized Hershey’s bars broken into pieces
- 1-2 packages graham crackers broken into squares
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, sea salt and cinnamon to combine. Set aside.
In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter with white and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix until combined.
Add the flour mixture to the butter mixer and combine on low speed.
Fold in the chocolate chips and marshmallows. Chill dough in refrigerator for 1 hour to overnight (I did one batch right away and another after chilling overnight and found there was no difference.)
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line baking pans with parchment paper. I used one 11x17 pan and one 9x13 pan but you can really use any sized pans you want.
Lay out graham crackers side by side on the pans as close as possible (they should be touching). I used 16 graham cracker squares on one pan and 10 squares on another. You may have to add or remove graham crackers according to how much dough you have. If you want your cookies thicker you will use more dough and less graham crackers.
Place 1 1/2 tablespoons of dough on graham crackers about 1 – 1 ½ inches apart. Press down slightly with fingertips.
Bake for 8 minutes then remove from oven to press Hershey’s bar pieces on to the top. You can place as many pieces or as little as you want depending how much chocolate flavor you want.
Bake for an additional 2 – 5 minutes or more if your cookies are thicker. They will be done when the edges begin to turn golden brown. Remove to a wire rack to cool. For clean cutting make sure cookies are completely cool and cut with a sharp knife.
Source: Ice Cream Before Dinner