Slow Cooker Cashew Chicken
This Slow Cooker Cashew Chicken is full of flavor. All of the work is done in the slow cooker for an easy quick dinner.
People think that just because I have a food blog that I’m an amazing cook who has dinner perfectly plated on a perfectly set table every night of the week. Oh, I wish that was the case.
I have flops. This week alone I tried five recipes and only two I can say were worth keeping. I misread recipes. I forget entire ingredients. My son twists the knob on the oven to BROIL and next thing you know dinner is burnt.
I will say that since I do cook a lot, I’ve learned tips and tricks along the way to know what works and what doesn’t.
My friend always tells me that she’s intimidated to have me over for dinner. Oh please. If I didn’t have to cook it, it will be the best meal I’ve ever tasted.
I realize by saying that is sounds like I hate cooking which I don’t. I just don’t love getting a dinner on the table every night that will most likely elicit a complaint from at least one child. And I don’t love trying to make dinner while simultaneously doing homework, feeding my baby, and clearing the dishwasher.
I do love trying new recipes. I do love cranking up my Coldplay station on Pandora in the kitchen while making dinner. I do love making cookies in the middle of the day just because I’m craving a bite of dough. I do love making something that as soon as I taste it, I know will be a family favorite. THAT…I love.
This cashew chicken has been all over Pinterest and I finally gave it go on a day that I needed a no-fuss meal. My husband still isn’t sold on chicken thighs but he didn’t even mind them in this dish. In fact he loved it. This dish has great flavor that had me going back for seconds. I’m sure you could use breasts as well just make sure to cook them for less time.
Slow Cooker Cashew Chicken
Slow cooker cashew chicken is better than takeout. Let it cook while you go about your day.
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thigh
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp ketchup
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/2 tsp grated fresh ginger see Note
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup cashews
- Note: I don't use ginger a lot so to buy fresh ginger for just a small amount isn't reasonable. My grocery store sells pureed ginger in a tube that lasts longer and you can use it as you need. Or you can freeze your fresh ginger.
- For the chicken: Trim any visible fat off the chicken. Combine the flour and black pepper in large Ziploc bag. Add the chicken and shake to coat with flour mixture. Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Brown chicken about 2 minutes on each side. Place chicken in slow cooker. Combine soy sauce, vinegar, ketchup, sugar, garlic, ginger, and pepper flakes in small bowl; pour over chicken. Cook on LOW for 4-5 hours. Add cashews and stir. Serve over rice. Makes 4-6 servings.
Source: 365 Days of Slow Cooking
The sauce should be doubled if you want plenty to pour over rice