I know carrot recipe isn’t the most exciting thing you can make. But great recipes are simple and there are so many different ways you can prepare carrots.
These savory carrots are roasted until the natural sugars in the carrots just start to caramelize and an amazing nutty flavor appears out of nowhere. It’s my favorite way to cook carrots.
Some recipes use brown sugar but the natural sweetness comes out in these with simple ingredients.
You’ll never eat carrots any other way again because these have the best flavor. The perfect side dish for any meal.
It’s my favorite way to cook carrots. You’ll never eat carrots any other way again.
The perfect side dish for any meal.
TIPS FOR THIS RECIPE
- Use a large baking sheet and make sure carrots are in a single layer not touching each other. The more room the carrots have the better they will roast.
- A high heat and the correct roasting time bring out so much flavor so make sure you have a hot oven that is preheated.
- Cut the carrots into equal sizes. This will ensure that the carrots roast in the same timing.
HOW TO MAKE ROASTED CARROTS
In a large bowl, toss together the carrots with olive oil, salt, and pepper. You want to use a coarse salt like kosher salt.
Make sure you’re using a good quality extra virgin olive oil so that it doesn’t stick. You could use parchment paper if you want.
EASY SIDE DISH
You want to roast them at a high temperature until the edges just start to caramelize in the roasting process and they are fork tender. That’s flavor right there!
Fresh herbs make a difference. Toss them with some fresh parsley or dill, or even fresh thyme. It not only brightens the flavor but adds some color for pretty presentation.
WHAT KIND OF CARROTS TO USE?
You want to use the large whole carrots that you peel. Baby carrots are not ideal for this recipe. Fresh carrots are best.
OTHER SIDE DISHES:
- Ruth’s Chris Sweet Potatoes
- Edamame Quinoa Salad
- Avocado Cucumber Salad
- Spinach, Feta, and Orzo Salad
- Brussels Sprouts with Bacon
- Healthy Vegetable Chicken Soup
- Broccoli Salad
- Sweet Potato and Black Bean Enchiladas
- Corn salsa
- Greek Salsa
- Tomato, Corn, and Feta Salad
Perfectly Roasted Carrots
These Perfectly Roasted Carrots that have caramelized edges and are tender enough to eat without being mushy.
- 12 carrots
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill or 2 tablespoons parsley
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
If the carrots are thick, cut them in half lengthwise; if not, leave whole.
Slice the carrots diagonally in 1 1/2-inch-thick slices. The raw carrots will shrink a lot during cooking.
Toss them in a bowl with the olive oil, salt, and pepper.
Transfer to a sheet pan in an even layer and roast vegetables in the oven for 20 minutes, until browned and tender. You may need longer depending on the thickness of your carrots.
Toss the carrots with minced dill or parsley, season to taste, and serve.