Apple Crumble is a 9×13 pan dessert full of sweetened apples and a thick crumble layer with brown sugar and oatmeal. Serve it with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream and whipped cream,…you will be in heaven. I promise you’ll believe it’s the best apple crumble recipe out there with tender apples and sweet fruit filling.
APPLE CRUMBLE RECIPE
- Apples – you can use any fresh apples but here are my top apples for this recipe: Gala, Fiji, Pink Lady, Honeycrisp, Golden Delicious, or Granny Smith. Tart apples, like Granny Smith, complement the sweetness of the crumble. You don’t have to wait until apple season. They work in this dish all year.
- Old Fashioned Oats – quick oats will work as well but I like the texture of old fashioned.
- Brown Sugar
- White Sugar
- Cinnamon – can anything be better than warm cinnamon apples?
- Flour – a bit of flour makes it a crunchy topping.
- Lemon Juice – adds a bright flavor and helps make the sauce for the apples.
- Butter – usually crumble recipes use cold butter cut in with a pastry cutter, but this version uses melted butter.
- Nutmeg – there aren’t secret ingredients in this but if there were one, this would be it. It adds that special note to the juicy apples.
- Baking Powder/ Baking Soda
HOW TO MAKE APPLE CRUMBLE
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Place the sliced apples in a 9×13 inch pan. Mix the white sugar, 1 tablespoon flour, nutmeg, and ground cinnamon together, and sprinkle over apples.
For the Topping: In a large bowl, combine the oats, 1 cup flour, brown sugar, pecans, baking powder, baking soda and melted butter together. Crumble evenly over the apple mixture.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 35-40 minutes or until apples are cooked and crumble is golden brown.
Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
THE BEST APPLES FOR APPLE CRUMBLE
OTHER APPLE RECIPES:
- Apple Muffins
- Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars
- Apple Pie Caramel Apple
- Apple Crisp Pizza
- Salted Caramel Apple Cups
- Apple Crisp Cheese Danish
- Appledoodle Cookies
- Caramel Apple Cheesecake
- 10 cups apples, peeled, cored and sliced (I use about 6 Granny Smith apples)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts, (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the sliced apples in a 9x13 inch pan. Mix the white sugar, 1 tablespoon flour, nutmeg, and ground cinnamon together, and sprinkle over apples. Pour lemon juice on top.
- For the Topping: Combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, nuts (if using) and melted butter together. Crumble evenly over the apple mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 35-40 minutes or until apples are cooked and crumble is golden brown.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.