Keto Chicken Pot Pie
KETO CHICKEN POT PIE
I was craving some comfort food like this Chicken Pot Pie but knew my Keto husband would only eat a low carb version. So I came up with this Keto-friendly Chicken Pot Pie!
WHAT IS IN KETO CHICKEN POT PIE?
- Chicken – I like the texture of rotisserie chicken in pot pie but any cooked and shredded chicken can be used.
- Veggies – Celery, onion, carrots, and peas are in this pot pie. Peas and carrots aren’t super low carb but since there are not a lot of them in this recipe it works. You could definitely use different veggies that are lower carb like cauliflower, spinach, or broccoli.
- Cream cheese – Gives this a great creaminess without being overpowering.
- Heavy cream – You can add more or less cream to control your consistency.
- Chicken Broth – I like to use Better Than Boullion Chicken Base. It has a deep, rich flavor.
- Xanthum Gum – This is used as our thickener instead of a roux made out of flour.
- Herbs – I like to keep the herbs pretty minimal. Poultry seasoning and celery seed (if you have it), season it without giving you that overwhelming herb flavor. You could definitely add parsley, thyme, and oregano if you desire.
KETO PIE CRUST
Keto pie crust is different in that we aren’t using traditional flour so there’s no need to knead the dough. The dough is on the softer side so chilling the dough makes a big difference in being able to work with it.
We flatten it in between two greased sheets of parchment paper (yes, parchment paper on its is still not non-sticky enough). Once it’s chilled you can place it in your pie plate.
As you can see, it’s not perfect. This is the bottom crust so it’s not going to be seen. In order to not have a soggy crust prebaking is essential. Just 6-8 minutes in the oven gives it a head start in baking.
Sautee some celery and onion in butter. This is the base to any good chicken pot pie in my opinion.
Whisk in some chicken broth, cream cheese, cream, and seasonings. A normal chicken pot pie would start with a roux made with flour but the Keto version uses xanthum gum as the thickener.
Looks like we’re just missing the top crust!
IS THIS KETO?
Yes! There are 6 net carbs per serving. You could definitely decrease the carbs a bit by using different veggies but I wasn’t willing to sacrifice that for the classic pot pie taste.
CAN THIS BE FROZEN?
Yes. Just bake as directed. Cool and wrap with plastic wrap to freeze.
OTHER KETO RECIPES:
- Keto Egg Roll In a Bowl
- Keto Biscuits
- Pizza Stuffed Mushrooms
- Warm Bacon Cheese Dip
- Stuffed Mushrooms
- Cloud Bread
- Keto Bake Brie
- Bacon Asparagus Frittata Recipe
- Keto Broccoli Salad
- Cinnamon Keto Pork Rinds
- Lasagna in a Bowl
- Egg Drop Soup
Keto Chicken Pot Pie
- 2 cups almond flour
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon fine pink Himilayan salt, or regular salt
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth, I like to use Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- optional 1/4 teaspoon celery seed (adds depth of flavor)
- fine pink Himilayan salt or regular salt to taste, about 1 teaspoon
- ground pepper to taste, about 1/4 teaspoon
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthum gum
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 2/3 cup frozen peas and carrots
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray a 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray.
- For the crust: In a large bowl, mix together the almond flour, 6 tablespoons of softened butter, egg, and salt by hand or with a mixer. Stir in the shredded cheese.
- Divide dough in half and spray four pieces of parchment paper with cooking spray. Place one ball of dough in between two pieces of parchment paper (with the sprayed side on the inside) and roll into a circle the size of a pie plate. Repeat with the other ball of dough with the remaining two pieces of parchment paper. Place sheets of dough in the fridge for about 5-10 minutes.
- Take one sheet of dough and remove top layer of parchment. Flip over onto pie plate and peel off other layer. This doesn't have to be perfect and you can press the dough to make sure it covers the plate. Bake the bottom layer for 6-8 minutes. Remove from oven.
- While the crust is baking prepare the filling. For the filling, melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat and add the celery and onion. Sautee over medium heat for 5 minutes or until veggies have softened. Add the chicken broth, cream cheese, and heavy cream and heat over medium heat, whisking until smooth. While mixture is combining add the garlic powder, poultry seasoning, celery seed, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Once mixture is combined reduce heat to low and sprinkle xanthum gum over the mixture and whisking in quickly. Keep stirring until mixture thickens. You can add more to thicken or more cream to thin out to your desired thickness.
- Stir in shredded chicken and frozen peas and carrots.
- Pour mixture into the bottom pie crust and top with remaining pie crust pressing the top and bottom crust together. This won't be perfect. You can crimp the edges if desired.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until crust is brown. You may need to cover the edges with a pie shield or foil half way through if they get too brown.
- Let pie cool for 5 minutes before serving.