Chicken Parmesan Roll-Ups
These Chicken Parmesan Roll-Ups are an easy dinner recipe that your whole family will love. It’s like chicken parmesan but rolled up with mozzarella, basil, and tomatoes.
CHICKEN PARMESAN ROLL-UPS
Here’s a another piece of heaven all rolled up into these Chicken Parmesan Roll-ups. We make this Easy Baked Chicken Parmesan at least once a week. This version is a little more flavor intensified!
You can use chicken cutlets from your grocery store which are already thin flat pieces of meat or just cut a regular chicken breast lengthwise down the middle to create thin pieces of chicken.
These chicken breasts were from Costco and extremely thick so depending on the size you may need to pound them thinner even after cutting them in half.
The best part about this chicken is that instead of just having that flavorful cheese on top we’re going to roll it in the middle too.
Not hard at all.
Place them seamside down in a baking dish and top with your tomato mixture. I like that you use canned tomatoes here because I don’t always have fresh on hand.
You can also skip the tomatoes and use marinara sauce. My littles prefer the marinara sauce version but us adults like the tomato version.
Top with your panko breadcrumb mixture. This makes the dish.
If you’re breadcrumbs start to get too brown for your liking, cover the whole dish with foil for the remainder of the cooking time.
There’s nothing like biting into that crunchy topping!
OTHER CHICKEN RECIPES
- Chicken Parmesan Meatballs
- Easy Baked Chicken Parmesan
- Chicken Parmesan Casserole
- Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan
- Chicken Parmesan Stuffed Shells
- Chicken Parmesan Meatball Sliders
Chicken Parmesan Roll-Ups
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can Italian style diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 thin-cut, boneless, skinless chicken cutlets, about 1 1/4 pounds (or slice regular chicken breasts in half lengthwise to create your own cutlets)
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup Italian seasoned panko bread crumbs
- Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat oven to 475 degrees. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and simmer until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Take mixture off the heat and stir in half of basil. Pour half of the sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine mozzarella and Parmesan; reserve ½ cup of the mixture. Add remaining basil to remaining cheese. Pat chicken dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Top chicken with basil-cheese mixture, leaving 1-inch border at bottom of cutlets. Roll up tightly and arrange, seam side down, in prepared baking dish.
- Toss bread crumbs with remaining oil in small bowl. Top chicken with reserved cheese, remaining sauce, and bread-crumb mixture. Bake until chicken is cooked through and crumbs are golden, 15 to 20 minutes. Depending on the thickness of your chicken breasts you may have to cook them longer 10-15 minutes longer or when internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. If your breadcrumbs get too brown for your liking after about 15 minutes of cooking cover with foil for the remaining baking time. Serve.