Homemade Peppermint Oreos
Homemade Peppermint Oreos – soft chocolate cookies with a peppermint cream cheese frosting. Great for Christmas cookie plates.
I make a lot of cookies around here. So here are a couple of rules I swear by to ensure that your cookies are as good as they can possibly be.
5 Essential Rules to Making Good Cookies:
1) Do not overbake. For those of you who have read my blog for a while you know this is a pet peeve of mine. I have a hard time leaving any cookie alone but if it’s overbaked I can easily leave it. It ruins everything about the cookie when it’s overbaked…the texture, the color, the taste…
2) Always use real butter. Some of you may argue with me on that but these are my rules so real butter it is. If it says to have your butter at room temperature, make sure it is. That makes a huge difference too when you have to cream the ingredients together.
3) Use parchment paper. I never make cookies without it. I’ve done tests, one batch with it and one without parchment paper and the ones with parchment paper always win. You can reuse it too most of the time.
4) Always use real pure vanilla…not imitation. I can tell the difference in taste so splurge a little and buy the good stuff.
5) Use large or x-large eggs. Most recipes don’t specify but in general when they call for eggs in the recipe they assume you are going to use large or x-large eggs.
Today’s my hubby’s birthday. So I thought why not one more cookie to celebrate. I did a guest post about these but haven’t posted them on this blog yet. So this is kind of the 13th cookie in the 12 Days of Christmas Cookies.
Sure, fancy schmancy desserts have their place, but I tell you people don’t always love to commit to a huge slice of cake or dessert.
These Homemade Peppermint Oreos are portable and easy to grab and eat. Trust me, they are always one of the first things gone when I take them to a party.
You can’t go wrong with these – Oreos, peppermint, sprinkles…are you in love yet?
If you love peppermint, you’ll love this Peppermint Cookie Cutter Bark.
Homemade Peppermint Oreos
- 2 18.25 ounce boxes Devil's food cake mix
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 8ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup 1 stick butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- sprinkles or crushed candy cane for decorating
- green or red food coloring (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
In a large bowl combine the cake mix, eggs, and oil with a mixer. The batter will be very stiff. Pinch of pieces of batter and roll into 1 inch balls. Place 1 inch apart on prepared cookie sheets and flatten slightly with fingertips. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove immediately from the cookie sheets with a spatula and cool on a wire rack.
In a small glass bowl, combine the cream cheese and butter until completely blended. Gradually add in the powdered sugar and peppermint extract and mix until the icing is smooth. Color frosting green or red if desired. Spread half of the cookies with icing and top with remaining cookies.
Roll in sprinkles, crushed candy canes, or just leave them plain.
Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container or resealable plastic bags. Makes 2 dozen cookies.