Baked Chicken Chimichangas
Baked Chicken Chimichangas are a healthier twist on the old Mexican classic chimichanga recipe. You won’t even miss this chimichanga being fried because they get nice and crispy in this oven-fried version! These chicken chimichangas can easily be made at home for dinner so keep this chicken recipe in your keeper file.
BAKED CHICKEN CHIMICHANGAS
(originally posted 2013)
Coming back from Hawaii was hard to do. Sunset dinners on the beach, live music, and Chocolate Souffle for dessert.
So this Monday has been exceptionally jarring. Early mornings are not something I easily snap back into.
I’m originally from Mesa, Arizona where phenomenal Mexican restaurants are on every corner. The love for Mexican food is in my blood.
Moving to Florida with the prominent Latin culture I thought I would have the same luxury but good Mexican is surprisingly hard to find.
The closest decent Mexican joint is about a half hour away so I end up making it at home most of the time.
WHAT IS A CHIMICHANGA?
Chimichanga is a Mexican entree that traditionally is a tortilla filled with meat or beans. Chimichangas are basically a burrito that is deep fried.
So when we call these Oven Baked Chimichangas I guess we should really be calling them Oven Baked Burritos because that’s all it is.
I love chimichangas but they’re usually dripping with grease. Every time I would go to a restaurant as a child I would order a chimichanga.
These oven fried chicken chimichangas were just the taste I was craving and had plenty of crisp that you look for in a chimichanga.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A CHIMICHANGA AND AN ENCHILADA?
What’s the difference between a chicken chimichanga and an enchilada? Enchiladas are smothered in sauce then baked whereas chimichangas are usually served dry. However, the best chimichanga is fully dressed so make sure you have some fresh guacamole, pico de gallo, and sour cream to top yours.
BAKED VS. FRIED CHIMICHANGAS
Baking chimichangas is not only so much heart healthier but it saves calories!! Sure, when you fry tortillas they get that crunchy flaky texture, but if you brush these chicken chimichangas with butter and bake at a high heat they will get nice and crispy with half of the calories.
HOW TO MAKE BAKED CHICKEN CHIMICHANGAS
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Mix chicken, salsa, cumin, oregano, cheese and onions. Place about 1/3 cup of the chicken mixture in the center of each tortilla.
Fold opposite sides over filling. Roll up from bottom and place seam-side down on a baking sheet.
Brush with melted butter. Bake at 400°F for 25 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
Garnish with desired toppings and serve with salsa on the side.
OTHER MEXICAN RECIPES:
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Homemade Tortillas
- Pico de Gallo
- Easy Beef Burrito Skillet
- Mexican Stuffed Shells
- Mini Chicken Chimichangas
- Classic Chicken Fajitas
- One-Pan Mexican Chicken and Rice
- One-Pan Chicken Fajita Rice
- Mexican Chicken
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped or shredded
- 1 cup of your favorite salsa
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 6 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- diced tomato, sour cream, guacamole, salsa, and shredded cheddar cheese for topping
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Mix chicken, salsa, cumin, oregano, cheese and onions. Place about 1/3 cup of the chicken mixture in the center of each tortilla.
- Fold opposite sides over filling. Roll up from bottom and place seam-side down on a baking sheet.
- Brush with melted butter. Bake at 400°F for 25 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- Garnish with desired toppings and serve with salsa on the side.
adapted from Food
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g