These Hawaiian Baked Beans are sweet and salty with bits of ham throughout!. A great side for luaus or BBQs. We’ve been in sunny Florida for 12 years now. Every couple of years there’s a mass exodus of what seems like all of our friends who move away. It’s a punch to the stomach every time. Because no one lives by family out here, your friends are your family here. We celebrate holidays, help raise each other’s children, and really are there for each other when you think you’re going insane. So far, it looks like this summer proves to be another mass exodus. Ugh. Why does everyone move away? Most people are enthralled with the idea of Miami. Sun, beach, attractions…yep, it’s all here. And we definitely enjoy that part of it. I’ve realized over the years that the hard part about living here for my friends has been: (1) they have no family support; (2) people are rude down here; (3) although the beach is fun, they rarely ever go; and (4) the commute is brutal to and from any job (leaving mom’s and kids to fend for themselves).
One of our good friends just came back to visit and we had a BBQ to celebrate. I brought these Hawaiian Baked Beans which are a sweet and salty side perfect for luaus and get togethers. Of course I already have the Best Baked Beans on here which are super hearty and always a hit. I also have Heidi’s Baked Beans from,…you guessed it, one of my friends who moved away. You can’t go wrong with any of these, honestly.
|Hawaiian Baked Beans|| |
- 4 (15 ounce) cans great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 1⁄4 cups brown sugar
- 1⁄2 lb cubed cooked ham (cubed ham steak works well)
- 3⁄4 cup ketchup
- 8 ounces crushed pineapple, drained well
- 8 ounces pineapple tidbits, drained well
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl mix together all of the ingredients and pour into prepared dish.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 F for 1½ hours. Remove foil and bake for 15-20 minutes more.