Thank you Crystal from Dangerously Delicious for sharing these Marshmallow Butterfly Valentines!
You know those cute heart-shaped marshmallows you can find this time of year? Make them into adorable Marshmallow Butterfly Valentines! Find the printables inside my post!
I LOVE Valentine’s Day. And not because it’s a romantic day for my husband and I, (it never is) because I get to experience all the fun through my kids. We start discussing themes for their cards and boxes months before the actual day. Seeing them get so excited about their own ideas and then making them into real-life, tangible pieces for them to take to school makes me just as happy. I know they feel super special that day, but better yet, the memories we are creating together are what I love most. Teachers have begun to stake out my kids just to see what us Dangerfield’s did this time. One of my favorite boxes we created was for my oldest daughter. It was a pink flamingo with feathers and legs and all. Check out the how-to here!
I found these marshmallows at Target and immediately grabbed them. Not because I had a purpose for them, but because I KNEW something adorable could be made with them for a valentine. After brainstorming and warding off the multitudes (of 5 children) trying to eat my marshmallows, I finally settled on these little ladies. They’re super easy to put together that even your kindergartner can help you. Promise. I used a toothpick to keep them together, but if you’re afraid of the sharp edges you could always cut a lollipop stick to size. Use any heart-shaped sprinkle to decorate the wings and attach with white frosting. I had some small candy eyes I used for the face and picked out smile-esque chocolate jimmies from the group.
I bought these Twizzlers at Walgreens to use as the antennaes. First I poked the top of the marshmallow with a toothpick to make two holes and then shoved both antennaes in as far as I could. They sit pretty snug in there if you press them in far enough.
If you can’t find these exact marshmallows at your Target, I know I’ve seen a ton of Peep heart-shaped marshmallows too. You just want to be sure you get 2 different sizes- medium for the body and jumbo for the wings. If you’re like me and have multiple Amazon deliveries shipped to your house weekly, just add the medium and jumbo size to your next order. It’s that easy.
- jumbo (or campfire) heart-shaped marshmallows
- medium heart-shaped marshmallows
- small candy eyes
- chocolate jimmies
- heart-shaped sprinkles
- vanilla frosting
- Pull 'n' Peel Twizzlers
- toothpicks or lollipop sticks (2 per butterfly)
- paper for printables
- 11x4.8 inch clear treat bags
- Using a toothpick (or lollipop stick cut to size), slide medium marshmallows onto stick starting from the bottom of the hearts. Stick a second toothpick through the sides of the middle marshmallow going horizontal. Place jumbo marshmallows on both ends of the toothpick for the wings.
- Using a toothpick, poke 2 holes to the top of the head and stick antennaes into holes at the same time.
- Decorate face with small candy eyes and smiling chocolate jimmies. Use heart-shaped sprinkles to decorate wings and end of antennaes. Adhere with white frosting.
- Place on top of printable and slide into treat bag. Tie with ribbon of choice.
Here are some other ideas for your littlest Valentine’s…