It’s officially summer. Me and the littles started it out right by ambushing the older boys at the bus stop with water guns on the last day of school. I embrace the no schedules and later bedtimes. I take that back. I like schedules. My owwwwn schedule. Even though it’s summer, the kids know everyday there are chores to be done before we play. And then we play hard. I’ve learned that happy kids are ones that are well fed and well played. The kids have learned that happy moms are ones that have a clean house and 10 minutes to shower alone.
I asked you all on Facebook if you wanted to see Coconut Lime Chocolate Chip Muffins or Orange Chocolate Chip Muffins and from the results the Coconut Lime Chocolate Chip Muffins barely won out. Which means the other muffins will probably make there way on this blog soon. I realized also that people who don’t like coconut, REALLY don’t like coconut. So I apologize to those who can’t stand the stuff but I love anything coconut. I have every coconut candle, lotion, or food that can be bought.
So why chocolate chips in this muffin? I was dreaming about the Key Lime Pie on a Stick bars you can get in the Keys. It’s a full slice of pie dipped in chocolate. It’s dreamy. You could certainly add white chocolate chips but I love the delicate nature of the mini chocolate chips. I wanted to use natural coconut for all of the coconut flavor but it wasn’t enough for me so I used some coconut extract. The topping is a crunchy butter/sugar mixture with some coconut that gets toasted while baking.
|Coconut Lime Chocolate Chip Muffins|| |
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut flakes
- ½ cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup milk
- 2 teaspoons grated lime zest
- ¼ cup lime juice
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup butter
- ½ shredded sweetened coconut flakes
- ¼ cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line 12 muffin cups with paper liners; set aside.
- In a large bowl stir together flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir in coconut and chocolate chips. Make a well in the center of flour mixture; set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine eggs, sugar, milk, lime zest, lime juice, oil, and coconut extract. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy). Do not overmix!
- Using a cupcake scooper, scoop batter into each prepared muffin cup - about ¾ of the way full.
- For the Streusel Topping: In a medium bowl stir together flour and sugar. Using a pastry blender or food processor, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in coconut and chocolate chips. Sprinkle muffins generously with Streusel Topping. Bake for 14 to 18 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean.
- Cool in muffin cups on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove from muffin cups; serve warm.