I recently guest posted this Summertime Caprese Chicken over at Eighteen25. Their site has so many good ideas and recipes so check it out.
I know what you’re thinking. I JUST posted a dish with loads of fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, and basil but I still had a ton of ingredients leftover and in my opinion you can never have too much of this fresh trio.
We do our fair share of entertaining and I’m always very conscious of those who I know are on diet restrictions or are simply trying to watch their weight. I try to always have a healthy option (don’t be so shocked) as well as a big bowl of cut up fruit to keep things light and fresh.
…And then I have a big, sloppy dessert to finish off the meal for those who aren’t trying to watch their weight at all.
But the dieting is out of control. Does anyone eat anymore? The last time I had a BBQ we grilled burgers and I looked around the room and I swear I was the only one eating it with a bun. I felt like everyone was staring at me like I had just lathered peanut butter all over my hamburger (hey…I should try that). So it’s obvious that people are watching their girlish figures and I admit that most of the time we eat things bunless but a bun every once in a while will not hurt you.
This Summertime Caprese Chicken is perfect for entertaining or just for family dinner. And it’s only 224 calories per serving.
The chicken for this dish is marinated quickly in yogurt which makes it tender and moist. The onions are sauteed with balsamic vinegar and then tossed in with the tomatoes.
Tomatoes are gorgeous this time of year and if you’re lucky enough to have a garden this dish is perfect to use them up.
|Summertime Caprese Chicken|| |
- 1 (8 ounce) container plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 8 thin-cut boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 1½ pounds total)
- Tomato-Mozzarella Topping:
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium-size onion, cut into 16 wedges
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 pound plum tomatoes, cored, seeded and chopped (about 4 cups)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese (usually packed in water), cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves, chopped
- For the Chicken: In a small bowl, whisk together the yogurt and balsamic vinegar until blended. In a plastic food-storage bag, combine chicken and yogurt mixture. Seal and turn the bag to coat. Marinate in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a gas grill or grill pan to medium-high.
- For the Tomato-Mozzarella Topping: In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add the onion and saute about 5 minutes or until onion is slightly softened and the wedges fall into pieces. Add the balsamic vinegar and water. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook about 7 minutes until liquid is reduced and onion is tender.
- Increase heat to medium-high and add tomatoes, salt and pepper. Cook for 2 minutes and remove from the heat. Let mixture cool for 2-3 minutes then stir in mozzarella cubes and basil gently.
- Remove chicken from bag. Discard marinade. Gently rinse chicken and pat it dry with paper towels. I know, sounds weird, but do it.
- Spray grill with cooking spray or coat with oil. Grill for 6-8 minutes per side. Serve immediately. Serve chicken on platter with topping in the center and let guests spoon their topping on.