This Creamy Shrimp and Mushroom Pasta is ready in under 20 minutes. Noodles tossed in a herb infused creamy sauce with shrimp and mushrooms.
As Mother Day approaches I’ve been thinking about my mom and what I would make her for Mother’s day if I lived by her. Whenever we go to a restaurant together and the waiter takes our order, my mom always pretends she’s still looking and tells me to order first. I go ahead and order then the waiter turns to my mom and asks, “What will you have tonight?”
“I’ll have what she’s having,” she says with a smirk and motions my way.
Every. Single. Time.
She’s the little sister I never had. (Love you mom!)
My mother-in-law, on the other hand, is easy. I could look at any menu and guarantee I know what she will order. If there’s a creamy seafood dish on the menu…bam…that’s it.
This Creamy Shrimp and Mushroom Pasta is just what Sheri would like. Except she might like double the sauce but it tasted great this way as well. This came together really fast so if by chance you are cooking for your mom tomorrow and have no idea what to cook, here you go. It’s looks gourmet and impressive even though it’s easy.
- 6 ounces fettuccine or linguine
- 8 Tablespoons butter, divided
- 8 ounces fresh, sliced mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped (you can substitute 1 teaspoon dried basil if that's all you have)
- ½ cup boiling water (reserved from your noodle pot)
- 1 pound raw medium shrimp, tail off
- Boil and generously salt a large pot of water and cook your pasta according to the package directions. Make sure to save ½ cup of pasta water for later in the recipe.
- While your pasta is cooking, cook your shrimp for a couple of minutes in a pan or until pink.
- In a large skillet melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat and saute mushrooms until soft and brown. Season with salt and pepper.
- Reserve cooked mushrooms and melt remaining butter in the skillet. Add minced garlic, cream cheese, and herbs. At this point, the cream cheese will look scary and lumpy. Don't worry, it will smooth out later when we add the water.
- Simmer cream cheese mixture until well blended. Get a scoop (1/2 cup) of boiling pasta water from your noodle pot and mix it in, stirring and whisking quickly until sauce is smooth.
- Keep sauce hot and add shrimp and mushrooms, mix well and simmer (stirring often) until everything is hot and thickened, about 5-6 minutes.
- Toss sauce with cooked noodles and serve.